DECREE ON PRIESTLY TRAINING
PROCLAIMED BY HIS HOLINESS
POPE PAUL VI
ON OCTOBER 28, 1965
4. Let them be readied for the ministry of shepherd. …. Every program of instruction…should be joined with practical implementation and directed toward the aforementioned pastoral goal.
13. Before seminarians take up those sacred studies which are properly ecclesiastical, they should be equipped with the humanistic and scientific training which in their own countries enables young people to undertake higher studies.
15. Basing themselves on a philosophic heritage which is perennially valid, students should also be conversant with contemporary philosophical investigations, especially those exercising special influence in their own county, and with recent scientific progress.
16. …. Special attention needs to be given to the development of moral theology. Its scientific exposition should be more thoroughly nourished by scriptural teaching. It should show the nobility of the Christian vocation for the faithful, and their obligation to bring forth fruit in charity for the life of the world. …
17. ….excessive multiplying of subjects and classes is to be avoided. Those questions should be omitted which retain scarcely any significance, or which should be left for higher academic studies.