Looking for an ice-breaker for your science course?
Looking for a way to assess learning?
Looking for an interesting assignment?
The link to 44 Catholic scientists on our website may be used:
- to highlight the Catholic Church’s long commitment to science
- to introduce students to a sample of Catholic scientists and their work
- to provide one of several assessment tools at the beginning and end of the course to gauge learning
- to select those scientists whose work pertains to the matter of the course
1. Open with the layout of 44 Catholic scientists
We envision this page being displayed in front of your classroom, with a prompt asking students if they can identify any of these scientists from only their photos.
2. Follow with the layout of 44 Catholic scientists with identifications
We envision this page being displayed next, with a prompt asking students if they know the contributions of any of these scientists, now that their names are displayed.
3. Pass out the quiz for discussion
This quiz can be printed and distributed to students to gauge their knowledge of the scientists’ contributions. Follow up with assignments concerning the scientists pertinent to the course you are teaching—or add those other scientists as supplements to the 44.